Which test should you take - the SAT or ACT?
Things to know:
- Both the SAT and ACT have 4 sections:
|1. Reading||1. English|
|2. Writing and Language||2. Math|
|3. Math (Calculator)||3. Reading|
|4. Math (No Calculator)||4. Science|
- - Both Tests have nearly identical Reading sections, but the ACT Reading section is notably shorter, and just a wee bit easier
- - Both Tests have nearly identical English/Writing/Language sections (they are called different things, but are basically the same)
*NOTE: Up to now, the SAT and ACT are basically identical, although the section order is different
Now, the big differences:
- - The SAT has 2 Math sections and the ACT has only 1
- - On the SAT Math, one section allows a calculator and one does not; both are mostly multiple choice, but each section has some "fill in your own answer" questions
- - The ACT has only 1 Math section; a calculator is allowed and it is ALL multiple choice
*NOTE: Although the Math content is nearly identical on both Tests, for the reasons noted above, the ACT Math is a bit easier
- - The ACT has a science section and the SAT does not.
*NOTE: The ACT Science section predominantly tests the locating of data in tables, graphs and charts, and the understanding of simple scientific studies. There is no intricate or detailed scientific knowledge necessary in order to do well on the ACT Science section.
- - IF you are strong in Math...lean towards the SAT
- - IF you like science: tables, charts and graphs...lean towards the ACT
But... a better way to determine which test is better for you is to:
- 1. Do both Math sections on my SAT Diagnostic Test (linked below), then...
- 2. Do the shortened ACT Science section (also linked below)...
- 3. There are the same number of questions on each, so lean towards the one on which you got more questions correct and YOU FELT MORE COMFORTABLE!
Don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any further questions!
ACT Science Test
DIRECTIONS: There are several passages in this test. Each passage is accompanied by several questions. After reading a passage, choose the best answer to each question and fill in the corresponding oval on your answer document. You may refer to the passages as often as necessary.
You are NOT permitted to use a calculator on this test.